Saturday, August 7, 2010

Fabric Dyeing Anyone?


Yesterday I had fun dyeing fabric, or should I say batiking. I must say it is a very messy process, but the end results are wonderful. I did find a better way of dealing with this wax, so guess what I did? The directions instruct you to simmer the fabric in a big pot, and then run warm or cool water over the fabric, in turn what happens is the wax gets stiff on the fabric and you should be able to rub the wax off with your hands into crumbles. What a messy process I tell ya! So instead, because it is so darn hot here I took those fabric pieces out to my backyard laid them out on the grass, wax and all and took a plastic broom to it! LOL I started sweeping the wax off like I was sweeping a floor and do you not know it worked like a charm! Yes, it did. I had beautiful waxless (Is that a word? I just made it one!)fabric. I threw it into the wash like normal procedures and there you go. So the lesson learned here is.....just sweep it off with a clean broom, the end results are the same! I never do conventional stuff anyways!


Happy Quilting T

No comments: