Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wool on my Mind

Cut up, washed and felted prior to dyeing. Wool on the bolt does not feel the same once it has been washed. On the bolt it may have a thin shiney surface.
Dyed and folded.
So I took a trip to my favorite local fabric market today. I had wool on my mind. I would consider myself still a beginner and I have been wanting to get back to my rug hooking but just couldn't sum up the funds to pay for the prices they want for just a small piece let alone a huge piece for a decent sized rug. One yard can be as much as $54 and the smallest piece can be $8 for just an eighth inch cut. Don't get me wrong, I love supporting the cause, but I love a deal when I see one as well. So off on my adventure I found it, bolts, and bolts of it! Wool, 100% pure wool. I was in heaven. I bet you will never guess what I paid for it? I purchased 12 yards of it for........$1 a yard, yep! $12 for a bolt, not bad and this is 54 inches wide. At first I was like this can't be 100% and I wasn't even going to get upset if it wasn't 100% wool because I got a deal. I cut it up, washed in HoT water and it felted lovely. I dyed it and now I am off to work on my rug. I saved....$636 dollars at roughly $54 dollars a yard. The same silk I purchased at a quilt shop one year for $25, I happened across it at the market and I paid $4 a yard. I must have lost my mind that year paying $25. Only 1 yard was in the budget. LOL So the lesson here is, find a fabric market. If you are willing to rummage threw stuff and take scuffs on your fabric and think outside the box, this is the place for you. It reminds me of a TJ Maxx where you rummage through the clothes or shoes to find what you’re looking for? That is what you do at this place; it's just a big warehouse full of all sorts of fabrics and never the same thing when you visit. So if you see something, get it, it may not be there next time. Do something creative every day! I think a mind is a terrible thing to waste not doing something creative. Hang around creative people, they motivate you the most. Have a wonderful night! Signing off T

No comments: